§514E-16  Deposit of purchaser's funds, notes, and contracts into escrow.  (a)  All funds and any negotiable instruments and purchase money contracts received before closing from or on behalf of purchasers or prospective purchasers in connection with the purchase or reservation of time share interests must be placed in an escrow account.  However, the developer or a sales agent may hold, until the expiration of the seven-day-cancellation period provided by section 514E-8 or any longer purchaser cancellation period provided in the sales contract, a negotiable instrument, or purchase money contract made by a purchaser:

     (1)  For which subsequent holders cannot claim holder in due course status within the meaning of article 3 of chapter 490; or

     (2)  Where the payee is:

          (A)  The escrow agent; or

          (B)  The trustee of a lien payment trust.

     (b)  The escrow agent must be a bank, savings and loan association, or a trust company authorized to do business in the State under an escrow arrangement or a corporation licensed as an escrow depository under chapter 449.  However, in connection with sales made out of the State for the use of time share units located in the State, the escrow agent may be located in and the purchasers' funds, negotiable instruments, and purchase money contracts may be impounded in the jurisdiction where the sale is made, if the law of such jurisdiction requires it.  In such event, the out-of-state escrow agent shall be subject to the approval of the director.

     (c)  The establishment of such an escrow account shall be evidenced by a written escrow agreement between the developer and the in-state or out-of-state escrow agent.  The escrow agreement must provide for the handling of purchaser's funds, negotiable instruments, and purchase money contracts as required by this chapter and must contain any provisions required by rules adopted by the director pursuant to chapter 91. [L 1982, c 186, §3; am L 1985, c 114, §5]


Cross References


  Leasehold time share interests, see §§501-241 to 501-248.