PART I. GENERALLY
§486J-1 Definitions. As used in this chapter:
"Aviation fuel" means and includes all liquid substances of whatever chemical composition usable for the propulsion of airplanes.
"Biofuels" means liquid or gaseous fuels produced from organic sources such as biomass crops, agricultural residues, and oil crops, such as palm oil, canola oil, soybean oil, waste cooking oil, grease, and food wastes, animal residues and wastes, and sewage and landfill wastes.
"Classes of retail trade" means the separate subdivisions, or "classes", of outlets or methods of retail sales of liquid fuels, typically but not always limited to gasoline and diesel for motor vehicles, and includes any:
(1) Company-operated station that is a retail service station owned and operated by a refiner or wholesale distributor and where retail prices are set by that refiner or wholesale distributor;
(2) Lessee dealer-operated station that is a retail service station owned by a refiner or wholesale distributor and operated by a qualified gasoline dealer other than a refiner or wholesale distributor under a franchise; or
(3) Owner-operated station that is a retail service station not owned by a refiner or wholesale distributor and operated by a qualified gasoline dealer.
"Commission" means the public utilities commission.
"Department" means the department of business, economic development, and tourism.
"Director" means the director of business, economic development, and tourism.
(1) Every person who refines, manufactures, produces, or compounds fuel in the State and sells it at wholesale or at retail;
(2) Every person who imports or causes to be imported into the State, or exports or causes to be exported from the State, any fuel;
(3) Every person who acquires fuel through exchanges with another distributor; or
(4) Every person who purchases fuel for resale at wholesale or retail from any person described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3); provided that "distributor" shall not include a marina, lessee dealer-operated station, owner-operated station, or other retailer that retails fuel only to end users or the public.
"Energy" means work or heat that is, or may be, produced from any fuel or source whatsoever.
"Fuel" means fuels, whether liquid, solid, or gaseous, commercially usable for energy needs, power generation, and fuels manufacture, that may be manufactured, grown, produced, or imported into the State or that may be exported therefrom, including petroleum and petroleum products and gases, coal, coal tar, vegetable ferments, and all fuel alcohols.
"Inventory" means the volume, in barrels, of reserve that is normally maintained by the reporting entity on a monthly basis.
"Liquid fuel" means fuels in liquid form, commercially usable for energy needs, power generation, and fuels that may be manufactured, produced, or imported into the State or that may be exported therefrom, including petroleum and petroleum products and all fuel alcohols.
"Month" or "calendar month" means each full month of the calendar year.
"Person" means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business trust, corporation, or company. "Person" also includes any city, county, public district or agency, the State, or any department or agency thereof, and the United States to the extent authorized by federal law.
"Refiner" means any person who owns, operates, or controls the operations of one or more refineries in Hawaii.
"Refinery" means any industrial plant, regardless of capacity, processing crude oil feedstock and manufacturing oil products.
"Storage capacity" means the maximum volume, in barrels, of used and useful facility capacity for storage. [L 1997, c 257, pt of §2; am L 2002, c 77, §3(1); am L 2006, c 78, §3; am L 2007, c 182, §3; am L 2010, c 152, §3]