§467-2 Exceptions. The provisions requiring licensing as a real estate broker or salesperson shall not apply:
(1) To any individual who, as owner of any real estate or acting under power of attorney from the owner, performs any of the acts enumerated in the definitions of real estate broker and real estate salesperson with reference to the real estate; provided that the term "owner" as used in this paragraph shall not include any individual engaged in the business of real estate development or brokerage or include an individual who acquires any interest in any real estate for the purpose or as a means of evading the licensing requirements of this chapter; and provided further that the term individual "acting under power of attorney" as used in this paragraph shall not include any individual engaged in the business of real estate development or brokerage or any individual who acts under a power of attorney for the purpose or as a means of evading the licensing requirements of this chapter;
(2) To any person acting as a receiver, trustee in bankruptcy, personal representative, or trustee acting under any trust agreement, deed of trust, or will, or otherwise acting under any order of authorization of any court;
(3) To any individual who leases, offers to lease, rents, or offers to rent, any real estate or the improvements thereon of which the individual is the custodian or caretaker;
(4) To any person who manages, rents, or operates a hotel; or
(5) To any provider agency owning, leasing, operating, or managing a homeless facility or any other program for the homeless authorized under part XVII of chapter 346. [L 1933, c 140, §12; RL 1935, §7311; am L 1941, c 205, pt of §1; RL 1945, §7732; RL 1955, §170-2; am L 1961, c 154, §2; HRS §467-2; am L 1971, c 26, §1; am L 1976, c 200, pt of §1; am L 1985, c 141, §3; gen ch 1985; am L 1989, c 217, §2; am L 1991, c 212, §6; am L 1994, c 100, §2; am L 1997, c 350, §17; am L 1998, c 212, §3; am L 2007, c 249, §22; am L 2010, c 89, §6]
Attorney General Opinions
Exception does not apply to an employee of a corporation. Att. Gen. Op. 66-6.