§431:11-105 Registration of insurers. (a) Every insurer that is authorized to do business in this State and is a member of an insurance holding company system shall register with the commissioner, except a foreign insurer subject to registration requirements and standards adopted by statute or regulation in the jurisdiction of its domicile that are substantially similar to those contained in this section and section 431:11-106(a)(1), (b), and (d). The insurer shall file a copy of the summary of its registration statement as required by subsection (c) in each state in which that insurer is authorized to do business if requested by the commissioner of that state. Any insurer that is subject to registration under this section shall register within fifteen days after it becomes subject to registration, and annually thereafter by March 15 of each year for the previous calendar year, unless the commissioner for good cause shown extends the time for registration, and then within the extended time. The commissioner may require any insurer authorized to do business in the state that is a member of an insurance holding company system, and that is not subject to registration under this section, to furnish a copy of the registration statement or other information filed by the insurance company with the insurance regulatory authority of its domiciliary jurisdiction.
(b) Every insurer subject to registration shall file the registration statement with the commissioner on a form and in a format prescribed by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, which shall contain the following current information:
(1) The capital structure, general financial condition, ownership, and management of the insurer and any person controlling the insurer;
(2) The identity and relationship of every member of the insurance holding company system;
(3) The following agreements in force, and transactions currently outstanding or that have occurred during the last calendar year between the insurer and its affiliates:
(A) Loans, other investments, or purchases, sales, or exchanges of securities of the affiliates by the insurer or of the insurer by its affiliates;
(B) Purchases, sales, or exchange of assets;
(C) Transactions not in the ordinary course of business;
(D) Guarantees or undertakings for the benefit of an affiliate that result in an actual contingent exposure of the insurer's assets to liability, other than insurance contracts entered into in the ordinary course of the insurer's business;
(E) All management agreements, all service contracts, and all cost-sharing arrangements;
(F) Reinsurance agreements;
(G) Dividends and other distributions to shareholders; and
(H) Consolidated tax allocation agreements;
(4) Any pledge of the insurer's stock, including stock of any subsidiary or controlling affiliate, for a loan made to any member of the insurance holding company system;
(5) If requested by the commissioner, financial statements of an insurance holding company system. Financial statements may include but are not limited to annual audited financial statements filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission pursuant to the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. An insurer required to file financial statements pursuant to this paragraph may satisfy the request by providing the commissioner with the most recently filed financial statements of the parent corporation that have been filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission;
(6) Other matters concerning transactions between registered insurers and any affiliates as may be included from time to time in any registration forms adopted or approved by the commissioner; and
(7) Statements that the insurer's board of directors oversees corporate governance and internal controls and that the insurer's officers or senior management have approved, implemented, and continue to maintain and monitor corporate governance and internal control procedures.
(c) All registration statements shall contain a summary outlining all items in the current registration statement representing changes from the prior registration statement.
(d) No information need be disclosed on the registration statement filed pursuant to subsection (b) if the information is not material for the purposes of this section. Unless the commissioner by rule or order provides otherwise, sales, purchases, exchanges, loans or extensions of credit, investments, or guarantees involving one-half of one per cent or less of an insurer's admitted assets as of the December 31 next preceding shall not be deemed material for purposes of this section.
(e) Subject to section 431:11-106(b), each registered insurer shall report to the commissioner all dividends and other distributions to shareholders within fifteen business days following the declaration thereof.
(f) Any person within an insurance holding company system subject to registration shall be required to provide complete and accurate information to an insurer, where the information is reasonably necessary to enable the insurer to comply with the provisions of this article.
(g) The commissioner shall terminate the registration of any insurer that demonstrates that it no longer is a member of an insurance holding company system.
(h) The commissioner may require or allow two or more affiliated insurers subject to registration to file a consolidated registration statement.
(i) The commissioner may allow an insurer that is authorized to do business in this State and is part of an insurance holding company system to register on behalf of any affiliated insurer that is required to register under subsection (a) and to file all information and material required to be filed under this section.
(j) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any insurer, information, or transaction if and to the extent that the commissioner by rule or order shall exempt the same from the provisions of this section.
(k) Any person may file with the commissioner a disclaimer of affiliation with any authorized insurer or a disclaimer may be filed by the insurer or any member of an insurance holding company system. The disclaimer shall fully disclose all material relationships and bases for affiliation between the person and the insurer as well as the basis for disclaiming the affiliation. A disclaimer of affiliation shall be deemed to have been granted unless the commissioner, within thirty days following receipt of a complete disclaimer, notifies the filing party that the disclaimer is disallowed. In the event of disallowance, the disclaiming party may request an administrative hearing, which shall be granted. The disclaiming party shall be relieved of its duty to register under this section if approval of the disclaimer has been granted by the commissioner, or if the disclaimer is deemed to have been approved.
(l) The ultimate controlling person of every insurer subject to registration shall also file an annual enterprise risk report. The ultimate controlling person of a domestic insurance holding company system shall be exempt from this requirement. The report shall identify, to the best of the ultimate controlling person's knowledge and belief, the material risks within the insurance holding company system that could pose enterprise risk to the insurer. The report shall be filed with the lead state commissioner of the insurance holding company system as determined by the procedures within the Financial Analysis Handbook adopted by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
(m) The failure to file a registration statement, any summary of the registration statement, or enterprise risk filing required by this section within the time specified for the filing shall be a violation of this section. [L 1987, c 349, pt of §8; am L 1993, c 321, §15; am L 2000, c 182, §12; am L 2014, c 234, §10]