§431:11-104.2 Scope. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b), this section and sections 431:11-104.3 through 431:11-104.6 apply to any acquisition in which there is a change in control of an insurer authorized to do business in this State.
(b) This section and sections 431:11-104.3 through 431:11-104.6 shall not apply to the following:
(1) A purchase of securities solely for investment purposes, so long as those securities are not used by voting or otherwise to cause or attempt to cause the substantial lessening of competition in any insurance market in this State. If a purchase of securities results in a presumption of control as defined in section 431:11-102, it is not solely for investment purposes unless the commissioner of the insurer's state of domicile accepts a disclaimer of control or affirmatively finds that control does not exist and the disclaimer action or affirmative finding is communicated by the domiciliary commissioner to the commissioner;
(2) The acquisition of a person by another person when both persons are neither directly nor through affiliates primarily engaged in the business of insurance, if preacquisition notification is filed with the commissioner in accordance with section 431:11-104.3 thirty days prior to the proposed effective date of the acquisition. However, the preacquisition notification is not required for exclusion from this section and sections 431:11-104.3 through 431:11-104.6 if the acquisition would otherwise be excluded by any other paragraph of this subsection;
(3) The acquisition of affiliated persons;
(4) An acquisition if, as an immediate result of the acquisition:
(A) In no market would the combined market share of the involved insurers exceed five per cent of the total market;
(B) There would be no increase in any market share; or
(C) In no market would:
(i) The combined market share of the involved insurers exceed twelve per cent of the total market; and
(ii) The market share increase by more than two per cent of the total market.
For the purpose of this paragraph, "market" means direct written insurance premiums in this State for a line of business as contained in the annual statement required to be filed by insurers licensed to do business in this State;
(5) An acquisition for which a preacquisition notification would be required pursuant to this section due solely to the resulting effect on the ocean marine insurance line of business; and
(6) An acquisition of an insurer whose domiciliary commissioner affirmatively finds that the insurer is in failing condition; there is a lack of feasible alternative to improving such condition; the public benefits of improving the insurer's condition through the acquisition exceed the public benefits that would arise from not lessening competition; and those findings are communicated by the domiciliary commissioner to the commissioner of this State. [L 1992, c 176, pt of §3; am L 2014, c 234, §9]