§431:10H-217.5 Required disclosure of rating practices to consumers. (a) This section shall apply as follows:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), this section applies to any long-term care policy or certificate issued in this State on or after January 1, 2008; and
(2) For certificates issued on or after July 1, 2007, under a group long-term care insurance policy as defined in paragraph (1) of the definition of "group long-term care insurance" in section 431:10H‑104, which policy was in force on July 1, 2007, this section shall apply on the policy anniversary following July 1, 2007.
(b) Other than for policies for which no applicable premium rate or rate schedule increases can be made, insurers shall provide all of the information listed in this subsection to the applicant at the time of application or enrollment; unless the method of application does not allow for delivery at that time. In such a case, an insurer shall provide all of the information listed in this subsection to the applicant no later than at the time of delivery of the policy or certificate as follows:
(1) A statement that the policy may be subject to rate increases in the future;
(2) An explanation of potential future premium rate revisions and the policyholder's or certificate holder's option in the event of a premium rate revision;
(3) The premium rate or rate schedules applicable to the applicant that will be in effect until a request is made for an increase;
(4) A general explanation for applying premium rate or rate schedule adjustments that shall include:
(A) A description of when premium rate or rate schedule adjustments will be effective (e.g., next anniversary date or next billing date); and
(B) The right to a revised premium rate or rate schedule as provided in paragraph (3) if the premium rate or rate schedule is changed;
(5) With respect to disclosure of premium rate increases:
(A) Information regarding each premium rate increase on this policy form or similar policy forms over the past ten years for this State or any other state that, at a minimum, identifies:
(i) The policy forms for which premium rates have been increased;
(ii) The calendar years when the policy form was available for purchase; and
(iii) The amount or per cent of each increase. The percentage may be expressed as a percentage of the premium rate prior to the increase and may also be expressed as minimum and maximum percentages if the rate increase is variable by rating characteristics;
(B) The insurer, in a fair manner, may provide additional explanatory information related to the rate increases;
(C) An insurer may exclude from the disclosure premium rate increases that only apply to blocks of business acquired from other nonaffiliated insurers or the long-term care policies acquired from other nonaffiliated insurers when those increases occurred prior to the acquisition;
(D) If an acquiring insurer files for a rate increase on a long-term care policy form acquired from nonaffiliated insurers or a block of policy forms acquired from nonaffiliated insurers on or before the later of July 1, 2007, or the end of a twenty-four-month period following the acquisition of the block or policies, the acquiring insurer may exclude that rate increase from the disclosure. However, the nonaffiliated selling company shall include the disclosure of that rate increase in accordance with subparagraph (A); and
(E) If the acquiring insurer in subparagraph (D) files for a subsequent rate increase, even within the twenty-four-month period, on the same policy form acquired from nonaffiliated insurers or block of policy forms acquired from nonaffiliated insurers referenced in subparagraph (D), the acquiring insurer shall make all disclosures required by this paragraph, including disclosure of the earlier rate increase referenced in subparagraph (D).
(c) An applicant shall sign an acknowledgment at the time of application, unless the method of application does not allow for signature at that time, that the insurer made the disclosure required under subsection (b)(1) to (5). If due to the method of application the applicant cannot sign an acknowledgment at the time of application, the applicant shall sign no later than at the time of delivery of the policy or certificate.
(d) An insurer shall use the forms in Appendix B of the April 2002, NAIC Model Long-Term Care Insurance Model Regulation and Appendix F of the December 2006, NAIC Model Long-Term Care Insurance Model Regulation to comply with the requirements of subsections (b) and (c).
(e) An insurer shall provide notice of an upcoming premium rate schedule increase to all policyholders or certificate holders, if applicable, at least forty-five days prior to the implementation of the premium rate schedule increase by the insurer. The notice shall include the information required by subsection (b) when the rate increase is implemented. [L 2007, c 233, pt of §4; am L 2009, c 49, §1]