§431:10D-212 Spouses and dependents of insured individuals. (a) Except for a policy issued under sections 431:10D-203 and 431:10D-211, insurance under any group life insurance policy issued pursuant to this article may be extended to insure the employees or members of such groups against loss due to the death of their spouses and dependent children subject to the following:
(1) The spouse and dependent of the individual insured may be covered in amounts of insurance equivalent to the amount of coverage of the insured individual;
(2) The premiums for the insurance of the spouse or dependent shall be paid either from funds contributed by the employer, union, association or other person to whom the policy has been issued, or from funds contributed by the individual insured, or from both; and
(3) An insurer may exclude or limit the coverage on any spouse or dependent child as to whom evidence of individual insurability is not satisfactory to the insurer.
(b) For purposes of this section:
"Dependent" means a child of the insured individual:
(1) Under eighteen years of age;
(2) Under twenty-three years of age who is attending an educational institution and relying upon the insured individual for financial support; or
(3) Regardless of age who is incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of intellectual disability or physical handicap and is chiefly dependent upon the insured individual for support and maintenance.
"Individual" includes a person or a member of any group provided in section 431:10D-202 and sections 431:10D-204 through 431:10D-210. [L 1987, c 347, pt of §2; am L 2004, c 122, §53; am L 2008, c 155, §3; am L 2011, c 220, §12]