§431:8-301 Insurance placed with unauthorized insurer permitted. (a) In addition to section 431:8-205, insurance may be procured from an unauthorized insurer; provided that:
(1) The insurance is procured through a surplus lines broker licensed in the insured's home state;
(2) The full amount or kind of insurance cannot be obtained from insurers who are authorized to do business in this State; provided that a diligent search is made among the insurers who are authorized to transact and are actually writing the particular kind and class of insurance in this State each time the insurance is placed or renewed;
(3) The surplus lines insurance procured is in addition to or in excess of the amount and coverage which can be procured from the authorized insurers; and
(4) The insurance is not procured at a rate lower than the lowest rate that is generally acceptable to authorized insurers transacting that kind of business and providing insurance affording substantially the same protection.
(b) A surplus lines broker is not required to make a due diligence search to determine whether the full amount or type of insurance can be obtained from authorized insurers when the broker is seeking to procure or place unauthorized insurance for an exempt commercial purchaser; provided that:
(1) The broker procuring or placing the surplus lines insurance has disclosed to the exempt commercial purchaser that the insurance may or may not be available from the admitted market which may provide greater protection with more regulatory oversight; and
(2) The exempt commercial purchaser has subsequently requested in writing for the broker to procure or place the insurance from an unauthorized insurer. [L 1987, c 347, pt of §2; am L 2011, c 68, §8]