[§328L-6] Tobacco prevention and control advisory board. (a) There is established a tobacco prevention and control advisory board under the department for administrative purposes.
(b) The tobacco prevention and control advisory board shall consist of members who are involved in tobacco prevention and control. Membership of the board shall be as follows:
(1) One member of the governor's staff, appointed by the governor;
(2) One member to be appointed by the governor from a list of two names submitted by the president of the senate;
(3) One member to be appointed by the governor from a list of two names submitted by the speaker of the house of representatives;
(4) The director or the director's designee;
(5) The superintendent of education or the superintendent's designee;
(6) Three members having demonstrated interest in and having backgrounds beneficial to controlling and preventing the use of tobacco, appointed by the director of health; and
(7) Three members representing populations at risk for tobacco use, appointed by the governor.
(c) Members shall:
(1) Be appointed or designated, as applicable, without regard to section 26-34;
(2) Serve without compensation; and
(3) Serve for a term of three years.
(d) The tobacco prevention and control advisory board, in collaboration with the department, shall develop a strategic plan for tobacco prevention and control, including:
(1) Developing and implementing effective and cost efficient programs, including health promotion and disease prevention;
(2) Developing adequate standards and benchmarks by which measures of program success under paragraph (1) of this subsection may be appropriately evaluated; and
(3) Assessing the effectiveness of programs engaged in health promotion and disease prevention.
The strategic plan shall be in writing and shall be a public document.
(e) The tobacco prevention and control advisory board shall advise the on the administration of the Hawaii tobacco prevention and control trust fund. [L 1999, c 304, pt of §2]
Subsection (e) is printed as enacted.