§304A-3002 Board of directors; composition. The affairs of the research corporation shall be under the general management and control of the board of directors. The board of directors shall consist of eight members as follows:
(1) Two members of the board of regents of the University of Hawaii, selected by the board of regents for terms to be determined by the board of regents; provided that no term shall extend beyond the term as a member of the board of regents;
(2) Three members to be appointed by the governor pursuant to section 26-34; provided that:
(A) One member shall be a University of Hawaii system research faculty member;
(B) One member shall be from the business sector; and
(C) One member shall be a representative of a non-University of Hawaii research organization;
(3) One member to be appointed by the president of the senate;
(4) One member to be appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives; and
(5) The vice president for research of the University of Hawaii system, who shall be a nonvoting[,] ex officio member of the board of directors.
All the members appointed by the governor, president of the senate, and speaker of the house of representatives shall serve for a term of four years, except that the governor may reduce the terms of those initially appointed to provide, as nearly as can be, for the expiration of an equal number of terms at intervals of one year, each term commencing on July 1 and expiring on June 30. All members of the board of directors shall serve without pay, but shall be entitled to reimbursement for necessary expenses while attending meetings and while in the discharge of duties and responsibilities.
The members of the board of directors shall elect the chairperson of the board. [L 2006, c 75, pt of §2; am L 2013, c 288, §2]