H. Center for Labor Education and Research
[§304A-1601] Center for labor education and research; establishment. (a) There is established at the University of Hawaii, West Oahu campus, the center for labor education and research. The center for labor education and research shall:
(1) Provide credit and noncredit labor studies courses and labor-related research and educational services for workers and their organizations;
(2) Provide labor-related education to the public;
(3) Advise and assist in the development and implementation of labor-related instructional programs, courses, and activities for use within the department of education, including teacher preparation therefor;
(4) Develop and implement a labor studies degree program or programs in the University of Hawaii system; and
(5) Serve as the clearinghouse for labor education matters in the State.
(b) The center for labor education and research shall be located in and shall be a part of the University of Hawaii, West Oahu campus. The affairs and operations of the center for labor education and research shall be administered by a director appointed by and responsible to the chancellor of the University of Hawaii, West Oahu campus. The center for labor education and research shall draw on existing personnel within the state government insofar as possible for necessary supplementation. Where bona fide demand for programs and services exceeds the capabilities of the permanent staff as supplemented, additional personnel resources may be acquired on a contract basis without regard to chapter 76. Permanent staff shall be covered by chapter 76 or section [304A-1002], as may be appropriate.
(c) The center for labor education and research shall receive the full cooperation of all state agencies in the use of staff members, facilities, and other resources necessary to accomplish the purposes of this subpart. [L 2006, c 75, pt of §2]