§231-52 Definitions. As used in sections 231-51 to 231-59, unless the context otherwise requires:
"Claimant agency" includes any state agency, board, commission, department, institution, the judiciary, or other state organization, or any subdivision thereof. In the case of delinquent child support pursuant to section 576D-1, "claimant agency" means the child support enforcement agency or an agency under cooperative agreement with the department whenever the department is required by law to enforce a support order on behalf of an individual. "Claimant agency" includes the department of budget and finance when acting on behalf and at the request of the United Student Aid Funds, Inc. to collect defaulted education loan notes incurred under the federal Higher Education Act of 1965 (Public Law 89-329, 79 Stat. 1219), as amended; provided that the department has a contract with the United Student Aid Funds, Inc. under chapter 309 when acting as a claimant agency. "Claimant agency" includes the department of taxation when acting on behalf and at the request of the Internal Revenue Service under the United States Department of the Treasury, and when the Internal Revenue Service is authorized by federal law to administratively impose a levy upon a refund of a debt or in satisfaction of the federal income taxes assessed under [the] Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
(1) Any delinquency in periodic court-ordered or administrative-ordered payments for child support pursuant to section 576D-1, in an amount equal to or exceeding the sum of payments which would become due over a one-month period;
(2) Any liquidated sum exceeding $25 which is due and owing any claimant agency, regardless of whether there is an outstanding judgment for that sum, and whether the sum has accrued through contract, subrogation, tort, operation of law, or judicial or administrative judgment or order;
(3) Any defaulted education loan note held by the United Student Aid Funds, Inc. incurred under the federal Higher Education Act of 1965 (Public Law 89-329, 79 Stat. 1219), as amended;
(4) Any federal income taxes due and owing to the United States Treasurer;
(5) Any medicaid overpayment under section 346-59.6; or
(6) Any unpaid court-ordered restitution enforceable as a civil judgment pursuant to section 706-647.
"Debtor" includes any person who owes a debt to any claimant agency, who is delinquent in payment of court-ordered or administrative-ordered child support payments, pursuant to section 576D-1, who has defaulted on an education loan note held by the United Student Aid Funds, Inc. incurred under the federal Higher Education Act of 1965 (Public Law 89-329, 79 Stat. 1219), as amended, or who owes federal income taxes to the United States Treasurer.
"Refund" includes any state income tax refund which is or will be due any debtor, or any other sums due to a debtor from the State. [L 1982, c 199, pt of §1; am L 1985, c 256, §2; am L 1986, c 87, §2 and c 332, §5; am L 1987, c 112, §1; am L 1988, c 199, §2; am L 1998, c 66, §1, c 153, §2, and c 293, §4; am L 2017, c 77, §3]