PART II. LOANS MADE BY FOREIGN LENDERS
AND CERTAIN OTHER ACTIVITIES OF SUCH LENDERS
§207-11 Definitions. As used in this part:
"Employee benefit plan" means any plan, fund, or program which was heretofore or is hereafter established in and under the laws of a state other than Hawaii by an employer or by an employee organization, or both, for the purpose of providing for its participants or their beneficiaries, through the purchase of insurance or annuity contracts or otherwise, medical, surgical, or hospital care or benefits, or benefits in the event of sickness, accident, disability, death, or unemployment, or retirement benefits, and includes any profit-sharing plan which provides benefits at or after retirement. As used in the preceding sentence, the term "employee organization" means any labor union or any organization of any kind, or any agency or employee representation committee, association, group, or plan in which employees participate and which exists for the purpose, in whole or in part, of dealing with employers concerning an employee benefit plan or other matters incidental to employment relationships or any employees' beneficiary association organized for the purpose, in whole or in part, of establishing such a plan.
"Foreign lender" means:
(1) "A depository institution" as defined in section 501(a)(2) of the federal Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act of 1980, a "real estate investment trust" as defined in the Internal Revenue Code, an insurance company, the principal office of which is in another state, whether incorporated or unincorporated and whether acting in its individual capacity or in a fiduciary capacity;
(2) The trustee or trustees from time to time in office of any employee benefit plan;
(3) A lender approved by the Secretary of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development for participation in any mortgage insurance program under the National Housing Act;
(4) Any corporation of which all of the capital stock (except the directors' qualifying shares) is owned by one or more foreign lenders specified in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3); and
(5) Any corporation of which all of the capital stock (except for the directors' qualifying shares) is owned by one or more foreign lenders specified in paragraph (4);
provided that the term "foreign lender" does not include any financial services loan company licensed under article 9 of chapter 412.
"Loans" means obligations secured by liens upon real property, or any interest in real property, situated in this State, which liens may also cover such personal property as is or may from time to time be affixed or attached to or located on or in or about the real property or any improvements thereon or thereto, and include obligations secured by liens upon real property or interests therein situated both within and without this State.
"State" means any of the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands. [L 1961, c 194, §8; Supp, §98L-8; HRS §207-11; am L 1970, c 4, §1; am L 1983, c 61, §1; am L 1989, c 266, §3; am L 1993, c 350, §8; am L 2017, c 12, §24]