[§141-2.5] Aquaculture program. (a) There is established within the department an aquaculture program that shall:
(1) Maintain cognizance of actions taken by industry and by federal, state, county, and private agencies in activities relating to aquaculture, and promote and support worthwhile aquaculture activities;
(2) Serve as an information clearinghouse for aquaculture activities;
(3) Coordinate development projects to investigate and solve biological and technical problems involved in raising selected species with commercial potential;
(4) Actively seek federal funding for aquaculture activities;
(5) Undertake activities required to develop and expand the aquaculture industry; and
(6) Perform such other functions and activities as may be assigned by law.
(b) The chairperson of the board may employ temporary staff exempt from chapter 76. [L 1998, c 176, §3; am L 2000, c 253, §150]