§121-45 Tuition assistance for Hawaii national guard personnel to attend the University of Hawaii. (a) The adjutant general, subject to the availability of funds, may award tuition assistance to qualified enlisted persons, warrant officers, and company grade officers (0-1 through 0-3) in the Hawaii national guard who are:
(1) Residents of the State, as defined by the board of regents pursuant to section [304A-402]; and
(2) Undergraduate students working toward a degree on any campus of the University of Hawaii.
(b) The adjutant general shall adopt rules in accordance with this chapter to carry out the purposes of this section. The rules shall include:
(1) Descriptions of the minimum military and academic qualification of personnel who may be awarded full or partial tuition assistance under this section;
(2) Listings of acceptable fields of study, degrees, and periods of eligibility for personnel who may be awarded tuition assistance under this section;
(3) Procedures for demonstrating the ongoing, satisfactory military and academic performance of personnel who have accepted tuition assistance under this section;
(4) Explanations of any reenlistment obligations for personnel who have accepted tuition assistance under this section;
(5) Procedures for administratively transferring moneys for tuition assistance awarded under this section from the department of defense to the University of Hawaii; and
(6) Procedures for enforcing this subsection.
(c) Chapters 42F, 103D, and 103F shall not apply to this section. [L 1996, c 291, §2; am L 1997, c 190, §6; am L 2006, c 75, §7]