§437-1.1 Definitions. As used in this chapter:
"Attachment hardware" means the components and associated fasteners that directly attach the bumper to the chassis frame.
"Auction" means any person engaged in the business of selling only motor vehicles by means of bidding at a public or private sale, but excludes an auctioneer and any person referred to in paragraph (1), (2), (4), or (5) in the definition of ["dealer"], or any person auctioning motor vehicles incidental to an auction of other assets, when the auctioneer or person acts in the respective capacity described in this section.
"Board" means the motor vehicle industry licensing board created by this chapter.
"Business" includes any activities regularly engaged in by any person or regularly caused to be engaged in by the person for the object of gain, benefit, or advantage, either direct or indirect.
"Consumer" means any person who purchases, other than for purposes of resale, a motor vehicle for personal, family, household, or business use, any person to whom such motor vehicle is transferred for the same purposes during the duration of an express warranty applicable to such motor vehicle, and any other person entitled by the terms of such warranty to enforce the obligations of the warranty.
"Credit sale contract" is defined as provided for in section 476-1.
"Dealer" includes "auction" as defined in this section or any person or entity not expressly excluded by this chapter who sells three or more vehicles within a calendar year, or who is engaged in the business of selling, soliciting, offering, or attempting to negotiate sales, purchases, or exchanges of motor vehicles or any interest therein, including options to purchase motor vehicles. The term "dealer" excludes a person who sells or purchases motor vehicles in the capacity of:
(1) A receiver, trustee, personal representative, guardian, or any other person appointed by or acting under a judgment or order of any court;
(2) A public officer while performing official duties;
(3) A holder of an auction license issued under this chapter when acting within the scope of the license;
(4) An insurance company, finance company, bank, or other financial institution that sells or offers for sale motor vehicles repossessed or foreclosed by it under the terms of a credit sale contract or security agreement;
(5) A person not engaged in the business of selling or purchasing motor vehicles who acquires or disposes of motor vehicles for the person's own personal, family, or business use; provided that the vehicles are acquired or disposed of for the person's use in good faith and not for the purpose of evading any provision of this chapter;
(6) A consumer consultant who is not engaged in the business of selling, soliciting, offering, or attempting to negotiate sales or exchanges of motor vehicles or any interest therein for any dealer, and who for a fee provides specialized information and expertise in motor vehicle sales transactions to consumers who wish to purchase or lease motor vehicles; provided that the consumer consultant shall register and pay a fee to the board prior to offering consultant services; or
(7) A Hawaii bank or its affiliate selling or offering for sale motor vehicles surrendered or redelivered to it under the terms of a lease or sold by it pursuant to a purchase option contained in a lease.
"Distributor" means any person, resident, or nonresident, including a manufacturer, who in whole or in part imports, offers for sale, sells, or distributes new motor vehicles to dealers.
"Franchise" or "franchise agreement" means any contract or agreement between a dealer and a manufacturer or distributor that authorizes the dealer to engage in the business of selling or purchasing any particular make or makes of new motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts manufactured or distributed by the manufacturer or distributor, or that establishes rights or obligations, or both, relating to the dealer's new motor vehicle operation, including agreements relating to dealership facilities or site control.
"Impact speed" means the maximum speed of impact tested upon the bumper of the vehicle pursuant to sections 581.6 and 581.7 of part 581 of title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
"Manufacturer" means any person, resident or nonresident, who is engaged in the business of manufacturing or assembling new motor vehicles.
"Minor damage to the bumper and attachment hardware" means damage that can be repaired with the use of common repair materials and without replacing any parts. In addition, not later than thirty minutes after completion of each pendulum or barrier impact test, the bumper face bar shall have no permanent deviation greater than three-quarters of one inch from its original contour and position relative to the vehicle frame and no permanent deviation greater than three-eighths of one inch from its original contour on areas of contact with the barrier face or impact ridge of the pendulum test device, measured from a straight line connecting the bumper contours adjoining the contact area.
"Motor vehicle" includes any vehicle, motor vehicle, or truck, as defined in sections 249-1 and 249-2, except for tractors, trailers, and amphibious vehicles.
"New motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle which (1) has not previously been sold to any person except a distributor, wholesaler, or dealer for resale, except where the vehicle has not left the dealer's possession after the sale to a consumer, (2) has not previously been registered or titled in the name of a consumer except where the vehicle has not left the dealer's possession after the sale to a consumer, and (3) has not been driven more than five hundred miles; provided that where a sale, registration, entitlement, or transfer of title of a motor vehicle, or the accrual of mileage thereon, is primarily for the purpose of evading this provision, the motor vehicle shall be deemed a new motor vehicle for the purposes of this chapter.
"New motor vehicle dealer" means a dealer who engages in the business of selling, at wholesale or retail, new motor vehicles or new and used motor vehicles.
"No damage" means that, when a passenger vehicle is subjected to impact testing conducted pursuant to the conditions and test procedures of sections 581.6 and 581.7 of part 581 of title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, the vehicle sustains no damage to the body and safety systems.
"Passenger vehicle" includes any vehicle, motor vehicle, or truck designed for carrying twelve persons or fewer and subject to impact testing conducted pursuant to part 581 of title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
"Premises" or "licensed premises" means the premises in connection with which a license has been, or is proposed to be, issued, including branch locations. The term "premises" or "licensed premises" is substituted for the term "place of business" wherever found in this chapter.
"Relevant market area" means the following:
(1) In a county with a population of less than five hundred thousand persons according to the most recent data of the United States Census Bureau or the data of the department of business, economic development, and tourism, the relevant market area shall be the county in which the dealer is located; or
(2) In a county with a population of more than five hundred thousand persons according to the most recent data of the United States Census Bureau or the data of the department of business, economic development, and tourism, the relevant market area shall be within a radius of six miles from the dealership location.
"Retail", "sale at retail", "retail sale", and equivalent expressions, mean the act or attempted act of selling a motor vehicle to a person for use as a consumer.
"Sale", "selling", and equivalent expressions, mean the act or attempted act, either as principal or an agent or in any capacity whatsoever, of selling, bartering, exchanging, or otherwise disposing of, or negotiating, or offering, or attempting to negotiate the sale, purchase, or exchange of, or interest in, a motor vehicle, including an option to purchase a motor vehicle.
"Salesperson" means any person who for gain or compensation of any kind, directly or indirectly, by any form of agreement or arrangement, sells, solicits, offers for sale, exchanges, or otherwise deals in, motor vehicles or any interest therein on behalf of any motor vehicle dealer.
"Treasurer" means the director of finance of each county.
"Used motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle other than a new motor vehicle.
"Used motor vehicle dealer" means a dealer who engages in the business of selling at wholesale or retail, or both, only used motor vehicles.
"Wholesale" or "sale at wholesale" or "wholesale sale" and equivalent expressions, mean any sale other than a retail sale. [L 1939, c 258, §1; am L 1941, c 315, pt of §1; RL 1945, §7361; am L 1949, c 163, §1 and c 168, §1; am L 1951, c 90, pt of §1; RL 1955, §160-160; am L 1957, c 302, §1(1); am L 1959, c 243, §1(1); am L 1961, c 59, §1(1); am L 1963, c 199, §1a; am L 1965, c 114, §1; HRS §437-1; ren §437-1.1; am L 1969, c 263, §1(3); am L 1976, c 200, pt of §1; am L 1979, c 182, §1; am L 1980, c 232, §23; am L 1984, c 164, §2; am L 1985, c 68, §12 and c 254, §1; am L 1992, c 109, §§2, 3, c 153, §1, and c 202, §25; am L 1996, c 264, §2; am L 1997, c 85, §1 and c 312, §1; am L 2003, c 67, §§1, 2 and c 126, §§3, 12; am L 2010, c 164, §4]