[§291E-67] Assisting or abetting the circumvention of, or tampering with, an ignition interlock device; penalties. (a) No person shall knowingly:
(1) Blow into or start a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device for the purposes of providing an operable vehicle to another person who has been restricted by law to operating only a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device;
(2) Tamper with an ignition interlock device with the intent to render it inaccurate or inoperable to permit another person, who has been restricted by law to operating only a vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device, to operate the vehicle; or
(3) Rent, lease, or lend a vehicle to another person who has been restricted by law to operating only vehicles equipped with an ignition interlock device, when the rented, leased, or loaned vehicle is not equipped with a functioning certified ignition interlock device.
(b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to any act taken for the purpose of safety or mechanical repair of the device; provided that the person who is restricted to operating a vehicle equipped with the interlock device does not operate the vehicle.
(c) Any person who violates this section shall be:
(1) Fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both, for any offense that does not occur within five years of two prior convictions for this offense; and
(2) Fined not less than $500 but not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both, if the person has two or more prior convictions for the offense in the preceding five-year period. [L 2010, c 166, pt of §2]