[PART IV. MISCELLANEOUS]
Part heading designated by revisor pursuant to §23G-15.
§291-71 Designation of parking spaces for electric vehicles; charging system. (a) Places of public accommodation with at least one hundred parking spaces available for use by the general public shall have at least one parking space exclusively for electric vehicles and equipped with an electric vehicle charging system located anywhere in the parking structure or lot by July 1, 2012; provided that no parking space designated for electric vehicles shall displace or reduce accessible stalls required by the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines. Spaces shall be designated, clearly marked, and the exclusive designation enforced. Owners of multiple parking facilities within the State may designate and electrify fewer parking spaces than required in one or more of their owned properties; provided that the scheduled requirement is met for the total number of aggregate spaces on all of their owned properties.
(b) For the purposes of this section:
"Electric vehicle" means:
(1) A neighborhood electric vehicle as defined in section 286-2; or
(2) A vehicle, with four or more wheels, that draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least four kilowatt hours of energy storage capacity that can be recharged from an external source of electricity.
"Electric vehicle charging system" means a system that:
(1) Is capable of providing electricity from a non-vehicle source to charge the batteries of one or more electric vehicles;
(2) Meets recognized standards, including standard SAE J1772 of SAE International; and
(3) Is designed and installed in compliance with article 625 of the National Electrical Code.
"Place of public accommodation" has the same meaning as that provided in section 489-2. [L 2009, c 156, pt of §4; am L 2012, c 89, §2]
L 2012, c 168, §2 (repealed June 30, 2020) provides:
"SECTION 2. (a) The department of transportation may adopt rules pursuant to chapter 91, Hawaii Revised Statutes, for the registration of, and issuance of special license plates for, electric vehicles.
(b) An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county authority in this State, except that this exemption shall not apply:
(1) For more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer; or
(2) To parking fees assessed in increments longer than one twenty-four-hour day, including weekly, monthly, or annual parking permits.
(c) An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from high occupancy vehicle lane restrictions.
(d) For the purposes of this Act:
"Electric vehicle" means:
(1) A neighborhood electric vehicle; or
(2) A vehicle, with four or more wheels, that draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least four kilowatt hours of energy storage capacity that can be recharged from an external source of electricity."